Pet Loss Support
Anyone who considers a pet a beloved friend, companion, or family member knows the intense pain that accompanies the loss of that friend. Following are a few pet loss support groups or website to help coping with that grief, and with the difficult decisions one faces upon the loss of a pet.
• Ten Tips for Coping with Pet Loss, Moira Anderson Allen, M.Ed.
• Helping Children Cope, Moira Anderson Allen, M.Ed.
• Pet Loss Support Group, VCU – The Center for Human-Animal Interaction
National Pet Loss Hotlines
(916) 752-4200 – University of California at Davis
Weekdays 6:30pm – 9:30pm PT
(353) 392-4700 ext. 4080 – University of Florida
Weekdays 7pm – 9pm ET
(517) 432-2698 – Michigan State College of Veterinary Medicine
Tuesday to Thursday 6:30pm – 9:30pm ET
(630) 603-3994 – Chicago VMA
Leave voice-mail message. Calls will be returned 7pm – 9pm CT. Long distance calls will be returned collect.
(540) 231-8038 – Virginia – Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine
Tuesday and Thursday 6pm to 9pm ET
(614) 292-1823 – Ohio State University
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 6:30pm to 9:30pm ET. Voicemail messages will be returned collect during operating hours.
(508) 839-7966 – Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine
Weekdays 6pm to 9pm ET. Voicemail messages will be returned daily, collect outside of